The school was set up to restore children to health and strength through fresh air, rest, exercise and nourishing food. Tuberculosis and malnutrition were rife in the early years of the twentieth century when thousands of sick children were unable to attend school. The open air system flourished for a number of years, until overtaken by modern medicine and improved living standards. This school closed in 1939 because of the Second World War.'>
The main hall and galleries at Seymour Place Baths is filled with children for the Mayor\'s Christmas Tea Party. A decorated Christmas tree can be seen in the right foreground. The swimming pool has been covered with a false floor.
Photograph by Pelling and Cross.
Digital Ref: A15A7801 Finding Number: T137 Public Baths, Seymour Place (078)'>
9 Dec 1916
Photograph [black and white]
Shows girls class in 1916. Burdett-Coutts Primary School has its origins in the Church of England School called St Stephen\'s, founded by Baroness Angela Burdett-Coutts in 1847. The school was located in Rochester Street. This is a copy of the original taken by M D Trace, ref CW 091286 B6.
Digital Ref: A03A0453 Finding Number: E139 Burdett Coutts and Townshend Foundation Schools (010)'>
Print of an architectural drawing by Architect Philip A Robson.
Digital Ref: A05A1870 Finding Number: C139 St George\'s School (001)'>
Easy to use, comprehensive program to help new arrivals understand the British way of life. Includes the different types of visa, finding a job, pre-school for children, further adult education, the communication network and more.